vendredi 1 octobre 2010

Liverpool Trip

Liverpool Biennial




Exhibition : Walker Art Gallery
Artist Name : Allen Jones
Nationality : English
Work Title : Hermaphrodite
Dimentions : ~ 2m x 1m




I noticed this painting at the Walker Art Gallery and i have chosen to write a review about this one because it is one of the paintings i spent the most time wondering about.
My frist questions were why can we not see the faces of the characters? and Why is the colour yellow dominant in this painting?
By looking at the painting from a distance, another question came, why is the background so clear and symetric when the main subjects are distorted?
The title of the painting is Hermaphrodite which means by definition :  "an individual in which reproductive organs of both sexes are present"
So why can we see the women's shape more than the man ?
This question brought me to read the description of the painting  which says that " it is one of his [Allen Jones] first portrayals of hermaphrodites". 
Then, the latter brought me to my last question and also to my answers :


How has the artist's future work been influenced by the women?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire